Pages

Feb 8, 2009

Sketches, and distributors


So heres a sketch I had been working on my breaks. Theres a little raptor in the background. I intend to paint it not only for use in the comics, but to submit to galleries as well. I know my style is not always welcome in galleries because of my comicy undertones, even with landscapes, but I'm going on the offhand chance that they will find it new and refreshing.

The galleries around where I work are tough to get into. It's always fine artist, or conceptual artists. Even the comic galleries here are full of the most ridiculous stuff. Everything the same, like they could have been done by the same artists. I hate that.

On the comic note, I was rejected by Haven Distributors. That was a bit of a blow, but I was prepared for it. Ka-blam is coming out with a new Direct to market distribution called Comicsmonkey. Which is my only other option apparently at this point. Diamond is just not an option with their extremely high prices. They are not attainable for someone in my position.
Apparently with comics monkey you'll be able to get a ISBN and UPC from them, which would be easy, and prevent me from having to submit newpages and getting charged that pre-press fee. I'd just pay a fee for the barcodes and ISBN directly from them and they can slap them on. Hopefully.
Making Daqueran POS ready would make me happy as a clam.

Anyhoo, I had lost my favorite little davinci brushes a couple days ago. I cant figure out how! I never let them out of my sight! EVER! I am very protective of my favorite brushes! I was very upset.
But I found them the other day so YAY!!
It was so hard to paint with the old ones and I got so much more acomplished having my new good brushes back!

I've recently gone through and replaced all my watercolours with professional quality ones, too.
I generally stick to windsor and newton and Holbein. My friend Jammy likes Daniel Smith, and I admit they have some nice unusual colours, but they are so unstable. They are always separated, so you get puddles of gum Arabic all over the place. The tubes sometimes expand and pop open at the bottom.
I'm sorry, but to me, thats simply not a quality product.

I have to get ahead on these comic pages. It really sucks being behind and litterally finishing a page, rigth before they have to be posted. I liked having several weeks of them done ahead of time. I dont see how Im going to get back into that position again unless I do some simple pages, and Im not willing to do that.

I do have to re-write a bit of chapter 3 when I get the chance because I've come up with some better ideas that fit with what I have done now. SO that'll be cool.
Thats one of the benifits of posting web versions, you get to see what peoples reactions are.

Anyway, onward and upward, Im almost done this page.

3 comments:

  1. Aww, too bad you got rejected *hug* I hope you don't mind me saying this, but I find it encouraging that even talented people like you get rejected ^^;

    I have a question for you, it kind of spoils something I wanted to keep secret(not just from you, the art public in general ^^') Does Opus sell Casting resin dyes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Opus does not sell the dyes (but they do sell the resin), but I believe you can get them by special order through Opus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi miss kitty, thanks for following my blog! I'm honoured my gallery director on da is interested in my work ñ___ñ And that gave me the opportunity to follow your blog too! I'm sorry you got rejected by Havendistributors, but that comicsmonkey thing looks pretty interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...