Pages

Oct 3, 2010

Comic Introduction Course with Steve Rolston

I started a comic course at Vanarts, taught by Steve Rolston, a sweet comic artist that knows his shit. SOME of you might be saying "Why the fuck would you pay for a course when you've been doing comics for so long?"

Well the answer is simple, I've only taught myself, through books, trial and error and tutorials, I've never been to art school at all. While thats fine, I have nothing against self aughtedness, but it's a lot slower a process and it's much more difficult.
I wanted formal training in something and a comic course seemed the best idea.

Daqueran is a big experiment for me, I wanted to see if I could actually keep up a comic and finish it all the way through, and actually see if comics were what I really wanted to do or if I wanted to stick to book illustration or something like that. Obviously, as the series isn't complete, it's an ongoing experiment thats not complete.
I did learn that YES, Comics is what I really want to do, so thats when i made the decision to do the comic course.

I eyed a couple, there was one at Emily Carr, that was much cheaper, but I am not a fan of Emily Carr. The one at Vanarts seemed much more intensive and thorough, so I chose.
I'm glad I did.

I've been having a good time there, and while for someone who's done comics for a while, it's moving a bit slow, the pace is starting to pick up and it's getting funner and more exciting now that we are scripting.

In the course you have to make a 4 page comic, so i decided to make the 4 page comic a kind of teaser for a type of comic I wanted to do for a long time.
So yeah. I think I'll use this blog to talk more about the course and my experiences in the comic world.

2 comments:

  1. Oh excellent! I think you (like anyone else) can only benefit from working with an expert! Great move on your part :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, no matter how much you think you know, even just the being around other artists and talking about it can help and inspire.
    Thanks =D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...